ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2003 systemstate backup

2005-03-11 11:44:30
Subject: Re: Windows 2003 systemstate backup
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:15:53 -0500
What we do is
1:  In the dsm.opt file have domain c: f:      (data drives)
2:  Have a preschedcmd which runs NTBACKUP that does the system state
backup
3:  Run the TSM backups.  The NTBACKUP is in a directory that is backed
up so we have that to cover us.

Once some minor bugs were worked out we have not had a problem with
NTBACKUP running in the preschedcmd.   If NTBACKUP were to fail the
backup would not run but that has not happened so far.  We wanted to
make sure the backup was done close to the time of the data backup of
TSM so we decided to go with the "pre" instead of the "post".  We did
try to have an NT scheduled event for the machine that used NTBACKUP to
avoid a possible failure on NTBACKUP and having TSM not run but the
problem was it was occasionally delayed by other events and/or there was
not an easy way to know if that event happened without going to the
machine.

Eric