ADSM-L

Retrieves failing on files with future archive attributes

2005-03-07 15:03:08
Subject: Retrieves failing on files with future archive attributes
From: Andrew Ferris <AFerris AT MRL.UBC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 12:02:22 -0800
I'm seeing Retrieves fail on certain older files. The error is ANS1301E
Server detected system error.

These are files from 2003 or earlier on NetWare file servers and they
have odd archive date attributes as a result of fixed McAfee anti-virus
issue. The file's Last Archive value will be something like:
Last Archive: Thursday April 27, 2795 5:33:40 AM
In other words, these files are several hundred years in the future as
far as the archive attribute is concerned.

Restores of the same files work fine, presumably because
backups/restores ignore the archive attribute.

The TSM client levels I have tried are 5.2.3.0 and 5.2.3.13 on NetWare
6.5 SP2
The TSM Server is at 5.2.3.2 on Windows 2000

I've read the client manual on what TSM looks at to determine if a file
has changed for backup purposes but there isn't the same info for
archive considerations. Would I be correct in believing that the
excessive archive attribute is what's causing the errors? How does TSM
look at/use the archive attribute for archives/retrieves?

We can reset the archive attribute using NetWare utilities but the
certainty that the problem is correctly diagnosed would help.

thanks,

Andrew Ferris
Network Support Analyst
iCAPTURE Research Centre