ADSM-L

Re: Changing library manager servers

2005-03-04 11:28:56
Subject: Re: Changing library manager servers
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:28:37 -0600
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Paul Zarnowski wrote:

> It is not necessary to run the Library Manager server on a separate
> physical server.  If you know how to setup multiple TSM servers on the same
> AIX box, then you can just run an additional TSM server image to be the
> shared library manager.  We have been doing this successfully.  We actually
> run 4 TSM server images on the same AIX box, in order to keep the database
> sizes more manageable.  One of the 4 is a shared library manager server
> which does nothing else but manage the library.  This works very well for us.

This is exactly what we intend to do, and for the same reasons - our two
existing TSM servers are in the same AIX image, and we have the two
servers in order to keep the DB sizes down.  Our third, library manager
server, will also be in this same AIX image.  It's just the transition
that I'm trying to sort out - I either have to move all the clients out of
our current library manager server to a new server, or I have to move the
library inventory to a new server...whichever is the least hassle.  I'm
thinking that moving the library inventory is the way to go, messy though
that appears to be.

Regards,
Bill

Auburn University OIT