ADSM-L

Re: Windows TSM Client: PAE/AWE enabled?

2005-03-03 16:40:38
Subject: Re: Windows TSM Client: PAE/AWE enabled?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 15:40:27 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Egon Blouder
>I am running a few huge file servers (~6-9 million files,
>600GB-1.2TB data, 2GB MEM). In order to enhance backup speed I
>tried to set resourceutilization to a higher value (5-10).
>After setting that value I monitored dsm process during
>backup. The process uses up to 2GB memory and exits with a
>memory error message.
>TSM Client ran out of memory.
>Now I'm thinking about installing up to 8GB (max. for W2K Adv.
>Server) additional memory for these clients. I'll set /PAE
>boot option in boot.ini in order to enable more than 4GB of memory.
>
>Unfortunately I cannot figure out whether TSM client (5.2/5.3)
>is able to use that additional memory using Address Window
>Extension (AWE) API. Does anybody know whether it's supported?

If using PAE doesn't get you what you want, try this workaround:

1. Create multiple dsm.opt option files, each using a different nodename
and pointing at distinct disk drives. Example:

        nodename nodeA
        domain c: d: e:

        nodename nodeB
        domain f: g: systemobjects

2. Create a TSM scheduler service for each nodename.
3. Run backups (and restores) in parallel.

Office 262.521.5627