ADSM-L

Re: NetApp NAS NDMP Data

2005-03-03 13:15:59
Subject: Re: NetApp NAS NDMP Data
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:15:48 -0700
        Hmm, but can that be done through the NDMP methodology of
backup? I don't think so. You only really have a "backup" method, not an
"archive" with NDMP. I think....

        We are just dipping our toes in NDMP, so I'm not an expert, but
it looks like for that data what we want to keep longer than just DR
purposes, we will need to archive it though an NFS mount, especially
where there are a few files in a whole qtree that you want kept forever
but the rest only for 30 days.

        NDMP just lacks that granularity, especially at the file level.
There is a 'virtualfsmapping' method in TSM 5.3 that can get you to the
directory level, so that may work if directory level is granular enough
for you.

Ben