ADSM-L

Re: OS X Insert Key

2005-03-03 10:00:41
Subject: Re: OS X Insert Key
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:59:35 -0500
Jason Lee
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:52:43 -0700
This may seem trivial, but it drives me nuts....

I administer my TSM servers from a Mac OS X box via the built in
terminal program. The "Insert" key on a mac is marked "Help" and
doesn't put the command line editor into insert mode (doesn't give much
in the way of help either, but I digress). This is a real pain when the
lines you are inputting are anything more than a few characters long.

So, my question is.. is there a way to send an insert key sequence from
a mac or, failing that, get the editor to default to insert mode (like
it should ;-) )

Thanks for any help on this!

Well, it took me long enough to come upon a good solution...

In most cases, terminal access to TSM servers is via X11, and in X11
one can reassign keys by name, as via xmodmap. Perform the following
from your Mac xterm window to map the Mac keyboard Help key to Insert
(those being in the same keyboard position):

     xmodmap -e "keycode 122 = Insert"

(In the Mac xterm window, you can use the xev command to see what
keycode each pressed key is generating, and thereby reassign any
key.)

  Richard Sims