ADSM-L

Re: Steps to Recover TSM DB?

2005-02-28 12:57:34
Subject: Re: Steps to Recover TSM DB?
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:56:32 -0600
Sung,

If you read the Administrator's Reference Guide it explains it clearly.
"dsmserv format" can only be followed by a "dsmserv restore db", however
a "dsmserv loadformat" can be followed by either a "dsmserv restore db"
or a "dsmserv loaddb".  The "dsmserv loadformat" is a newer command that
was added in order to support the "dsmserv loaddb" command.  If you are
doing a DB restore where all the DB and LOG volumes are being recreated
then traditionally people use the the "dsmserv format" command.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Sung Y Lee wrote:

I was not looking for any particular platform... how about for AIX.

Sung Y. Lee

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/24/2005
12:51:58 PM:

what is your platform?

sunglee AT US.IBM DOT COM 02/24/2005 12:34:10 PM >>>

Howdy folks,

For your environment which steps do you use to recover TSM at DR
location?
1)dsmfmt TSM DB and Recovery logs
2)dsmserv format # /TSMlog #/TSMdb log
3)dsmserv restore db

or

1)dsmfmt TSM DB and Recovery logs
2)dsmserv loadformat # /TSMlog #/TSMdb log
3)dsmserv restore db

I am trying to understand if there are any difererence in between
dsmserv
format and dsmserv loadformat when restoring TSM DB.
I have read the manuals, but this information was not clear to me.
Thanks,

Sung Y. Lee