ADSM-L

Re: Archive binding question

2005-02-25 08:08:30
Subject: Re: Archive binding question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:07:53 -0500
On Feb 24, 2005, at 2:50 PM, Remeta, Mark wrote:

Could someone please verify that I understand this correctly.

Case A:
I have NodeA and NodeB that is being archived to management class MC-A
and
it has a retention of 3 years.
If I change the retention for MC-A to 7 years all new and existing
archives
for NodeA & NodeB will be kept for 7 years.

Yes, indeed: been there, done that.  So noted in ADSM QuickFacts.
If you perform:  SELECT * FROM SYSCAT.COLUMNS WHERE tabname='ARCHIVES'
you will note that there is no DEACTIVATE_DATE as there is in the
BACKUPS
table, which is the key.

Case B:
I have NodeA and NodeB that is being archived to management class MC-A
and
it has a retention of 3 years.
I create a new management class called MC-B and set the retention to 7
years, then use the -archmc=MC-B on NodeB.
All new archives on NodeB will be kept for 7 years but the existing
archives
on NodeB will still be kept for 3 years.
NodeA will remain unchanged.

Per the Admin Guide manual:
"Archive copies are never rebound because each archive operation
creates a different archive copy. Archive copies remain bound to the
management class name specified when the user archived them."

  Richard Sims, in snowy Boston