ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation and collocation...

2005-02-23 10:07:34
Subject: Re: Reclamation and collocation...
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:06:52 -0500
My understanding is that reclamation only reclaims Filling tapes if they
are marked offsite.  I want to reclaim those volumes.  Since we are
talking collocated storagepools, it means I am sending a new partially
written volume offsite each day for each node.  The reason I'm
collocating is to minimize tape mounts in a disaster recovery scenario.
Reclaiming and thus consolidating those offsite volumes is one more way
to minimize the number of tapes per node and thus the number of tape
mounts.

I also send 100-120 tapes offsite each day.  If I did not bring about
that many back each day, I'd soon run out of both tapes and offsite
storage space.  That is another reason I need to reclaim those offsite
filling tapes.

Now my pet peeve about reclaiming collocated tapes is that they are
single threaded within a storagepool.  SInce they are collocated, I
should be able to reclaim multiple tapes at a time without having
different reclaims using the same input tape. I get around this problem
by "reclaiming" my offsite tapes using a script that generates 'MOVE
DATA' statements for the offsite tapes I want to reclaim.  If you really
want to not reclaim Filling tapes, you could do a similar thing.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville