ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation problem

2005-02-21 12:03:34
Subject: Re: Reclamation problem
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:03:23 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Iain Barnetson
>Don't know about anyone else but I find the TSM documentation
>woefully inadequate, at times misleading, and on at least one
>occaission incorrect.
>
>So I hope someone can give the person asking the question a
>bit more help the response "RTFM"

In this particular case, Richard is doing the right thing. There is a
detailed explanation of how to set up tape reclamation when there is
only one tape drive available, and he indicated the correct area of the
administrator's guide. The process is a little complex to be succinctly
described in a mailing-list posting.

TSM documentation is adequate is most instances; granted that there are
a few inaccuracies, but I can't recall any major bloopers in
documentation for the last two or three major releases. The largest
holes in TSM documentation are the same holes that exist in most
application documentation: procedures involving two or more technologies
within an application, and best practices. (Most of these holes are
filled-in with the IBM Redbook series.) Also, the reason "RTFM" appears
regularly is because many administrators are daunted by the volume of
documentation and don't read the docs. Well, cowboys and cowgirls, you
should be prepared for large amounts of documentation for an application
that is used at the enterprise level.

(If you want to see really poor documentation, take a look at the docs
for some TSM's major competitors.)

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627