ADSM-L

Re: Reading client data from a storage pool tape.

2005-02-18 14:44:07
Subject: Re: Reading client data from a storage pool tape.
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:43:49 -0700
> If you dump the data off of the tape, what do you see.

That depends. Factors to consider include:

- Format of the data that was backed up (was it already compressed or
encrypted, for example)?

- Use of client-side encryption (use this if security is required)

- Use of client-side compression (helps to obfuscate the data)

- Use of tape hardware compression (helps to obfuscate the data)

Even assuming that you don't do any of the above, the data is stored in a
proprietary format. You just can't read the tape and pick off whole,
intact files up from start to finish. The need for an intact TSM server
database to restore the client data is necessary in order for the data to
be read from the tapes and put back on the client, in its original format.
But a serious hacker could probably get at bits and pieces of the data.
This is why we offer client-side encryption of the data (compression isn't
the same as encryption per se, but it offers another layer of obfuscation
just the same).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-02-18
12:20:54: