ADSM-L

Re: External Library def problem?????

2005-02-18 09:35:57
Subject: Re: External Library def problem?????
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:35:44 -0800
On the path in that doc is not literal.  The real path is usually
C:\Progra~1\GES\EDT\BIN\elm.exe.  Note that I used the 8.3 name instead of
"Program Files".  There was a bug at one time where if you had a space in the
name it would be put in the devconfig without quotes. As a result I make sure
not to have spaces in the name.

Note a few more things:

1) Gresham has really good doc. Their website is
http://www.gresham-computing.com/.  They have a document that walks you through
the entire process and lets you know what information you need in your elm.cnf.
 If that name is new to you then even if you get the external library path
correct things won't work

2) With TSM V5.3 you no longer need to use Gresham.  They are a good company
and have a good product so I'm not knocking them but unfortunately for them and
fortunately for us what they do is not included at no extra charge in TSM.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> wrote:
On Feb 18, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Nielsen, Bo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to setup a W2K3 server with TSM5.2.3 and Gresham Distributape
> 6.4.
>
> In the TSM help I found this:
>
> Task
> Update an external library named EXTLIB with a new path for the media
> manager.
>
> Command
> update library extlib externalmanager=c:\server\mediamanager
>
> But when I try, TSM return:
>
> ANR8416E DEFINE LBRARY: The EXTERNALMANAGER parameter is invalid for
> library type EXTERNAL.
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> How do I tell the TSM server where Greham reside??
>
> I have DEFINE the LIBRARY as a EXTERNAL librarytype.

Are you looking at the right documentation version for your system? For
example, the 5.2.2 Admin Guide for Windows on page 185 illustrates
performing an "update path" to define the externalmanager, not "update
library".

Richard Sims