ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation problem

2005-02-18 08:48:58
Subject: Re: Reclamation problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:45:11 -0500
On Feb 18, 2005, at 8:11 AM, Iain Barnetson wrote:

Don't know about anyone else but I find the TSM documentation woefully
inadequate, at times misleading, and on at least one occaission
incorrect.

So I hope someone can give the person asking the question a bit more
help the response "RTFM"

Iain -

Where customers have not referred to provided vendor documentation,
they cannot begin to understand the complexities of a product.
Beginning there is an essential first step.

In this case, the Admin Guide provides a good explanation of the
process. As we've seen in so many postings, the IBM web site is also
provides a wealth of supplementary information about facilities (some
of which should admittedly be in the manuals, rather than tucked away
on the web site.) And there are redbooks, where the Technical Guide
manual for each release provides valuable insights into new features.
Where manuals have problems, you should feed back to the publications
people per the contact info which is provided in each manual. From
communication with the publications people over many years, I know that
very few customers bother to do that - which leaves customer-perceived
problems unresolved. The pubs folks welcome input and are very
congenial. Give them a try.

The authoritative reference material is supplemented by all the
volunteer efforts to provide info. The ADSM-L archives constitute a
massive compendium of Q+A information. And I offer ADSM QuickFacts,
which I originated to keep my own head straight with all the details.

So, when a response to a posting is perceived to suggest Reading The
Fine Manuals, it really means to certainly begin with referring to the
principal reference points for the product, and branch outward from
there, if needed.

  Richard Sims