ADSM-L

Re: Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server

2005-02-15 23:23:41
Subject: Re: Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:23:29 -0800
Paul,
I'll try to run through your steps as well this week.  I'll let you know if I
can recreate your issue.  I wasn't able to today but I'll try some more.  I was
using the V5.1.5.15 client and the V5.2.3.1 client on windows 2000 and windows
2003 (both client versions on both OS's).

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM> wrote:
Paul,

I think you are referring to IC33355, which was closed SUG. I do not know
the details behind the closure, but it was closed that way presumably due
to the complexity (despite the seemingly simple problem description) of
addressing the issue.

I have not been able to reproduce your symptoms. Can you clarify a few
things for me?

1) Content of your two dsm.opt files

2) Output from "dsmcutil list"

3) Output from "dsmcutil query /name:xxxx" for each xxxx that shows up in
the dsmcutil list output

4) Admin console output that illustrates the problem

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" wrote on 2005-02-14
20:00:42:

> I have things configured pretty much as you describe, and I also use
> dsmcutil to create the services when using a cluster- Way easier to
reduce
> mistakes since I can throw it into a batch file and run it on both sides
of
> the cluster. :)
>
> The issue I'm seeing, though, can be duplicated on a non-cluster.
(however
> the results seem to happen on some systems but not others) If you take a
> Windows 2000 or 2003 server and try the following:
>
> 1. Install a regular dsmcad, agent and scheduler service using the
default
> baclient\dsm.opt file.
> 2. create a second options file named something different such as
dsm2.opt
> 3. install a second set of services, named differently, and using the
> dsm2.opt, and using a different nodename from the first set. (ie. you
would
> use this if setting up a scheduler for an agent perhaps, or for a
cluster
> resource group).
> 4. before starting the dsmcad service, start up a console window
> (dsmadmc -console)
> 5. start dsmcad, wait the minute for the scheduler to kick in
>
> What I see on the console (and in the actlog) is:
> - an inital connection using the correct (second) nodename, by the
dsmcad as
> soon as I start the service
> - 1 minute later, I see two more client connections as the scheduler
> connects. the first connection uses the wrong (first) nodename, the
second
> connection uses the correct (second) nodename.
>
> other than that, everything seems to work correctly.....
>
> Paul

The
> > only issue I have ever seen is that if you don't use the short 8.3
name
> > for the path for "/clientdir" then you can have problems.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this will help but here is an example of what we use.
> > ex:
> > "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\Baclient\DSMCUTIL" Install /name:"TSM
Central
> > Scheduler" /node:%COMPUTERNAME%
/clientdir:C:\Progra~1\Tivoli\TSM\Baclient

wrote:
> > Several years ago I noticed an interesting behavior when installing
> > multiple client scheduler services on a server. A ticket was opened
with
> > IBM and the final word came back that there was indeed a bug, the apar
was
> > opened, and we were told it would be resolved. This week I've
encoutered
> > the same situation, so I'm wondering if anyone has also noticed this
> > behavior? I no longer have the apar number of the original ticket, so
> > can't check to see the apar's status.
> >
> > When installing a scheduler service (with apropriate cad, etc) you
must
> > supply the dsm.opt file fo the service to use. For the first nodename
on
> > the server, this is typically the Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt file.
When
> > installing the second set of services for an alternate nodename, you
must
> > supply an alternate dsm.opt file.
> >
> > If you run a dsmadmc -console while starting the CAD, you may notice
that,
> > when the scheduler service contacts the TSM Server, it touches the
server
> > twice. Under normal circumstances, this is just something I shrugged
off
> > as an 'interesting' thing.
> >
> > However, after the second service instance is installed, when starting
up
> > the CAD, I noticed that the the first of those two connections was
using
> > the wrong nodename - instead of connecting to the TSM server with the
> > nodename of the second service, it connected with the nodename of the
> > first service. The second connection attempt then proceeded to use the
> > correct nodename. Not knowing exactly what information is sent on each
of
> > those connections, I do not know the implications of this.
> >
> > Basically what was happening was that when the scheduler service first
> > starts it grabbed the default dsm.opt location, instead of using the
> > dsm.opt file defined for that service. By the time it makes it's
second
> > connection attempt, it's read the correct dsm.opt file.
> >
> > The temporary band-aid was to configure the first scheduler service to
use
> > a *non-standard* dsm.opt - the result being that when the second
service
> > tried to connect using the default location, it failed to find a
dsm.opt
> > file there, and simply connected sucessfully on the second attempt,
using
> > the correct dsm.opt file.
> >
> > More recently, I've noticed that when this situation occurs, if you
set
> > the first service to use a non-standard dsm.opt file, during the
install
> > process I initially get an error message stating that the service
'Could
> > not find c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt' , even though
> > that's not the dsm.opt file I told it to read. The service then goes
and
> > sucessfully installs. *shrug*.
> >
> > It doesn't appear to be causing any real grief, but I'm wondering if
I'm