ADSM-L

Re: LTO2 corrupted index question

2005-02-15 03:33:43
Subject: Re: LTO2 corrupted index question
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:22:46 +0059
On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:26:42PM -0600, Bill Kelly wrote:

> A few months ago, we experienced several of the 'corrupted tape directory'
> problems...more precisely described as a 'corrupted CM index', I think.
        [LTO-2 firmware/volume problems]
> I'm seeing.  I'm assuming that the firmware update *really* fixed the
> problem...it's been out for several months with no subsequent updates.

We also have (had?) problems with our LTO2 3584 library. We also
experienced the symptoms you see. What we also noticed many "silly"
TapeAlerts: errors about a failing firmware upgrade when no upgrade
was attempted, errors about snapped tapes, errors about failed drives.
No "real" errors (e.g. I/O errors) occured. When these "silly" TapeAlerts
happen, there's a chance that the volume that's in the drive gets a
corrupted tape directory. These later show up as "real" TapeAlerts and
bad performance.

This problem has been open for months and months, during which we
received two special firmwares, one for diagnosis and one in which the
problem should be solved. We now no longer see silly TapeAlerts, but
every now and then a TapeAlerts mentions that "Volume XXX is not
data-grade. Your data is at risk." Again without any real errors.

We're now on firmware level 4AP0, which should contain a fix for our
silly TapeAlert and tape directory corruption problem.

Are TapeAlerts enabled in your setup? If not, try enabling them and
look in the TSM log for any TapeAlerts.

--
Jurjen Oskam
  "E-mail has just erupted like a weed, and instead of considering