ADSM-L

Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server

2005-02-13 15:13:44
Subject: Bug? Using multiple client service instances on Windows server
From: Paul Fielding <paul AT FIELDING DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:42:29 -0330
Several years ago I noticed an interesting behavior when installing multiple
client scheduler services on a server.  A ticket was opened with IBM and the
final word came back that there was indeed a bug, the apar was opened, and we
were told it would be resolved.   This week I've encoutered the same situation,
so I'm wondering if anyone has also noticed this behavior?  I no longer have
the apar number of the original ticket, so I can't check to see the apar's
status.

When installing a scheduler service (with apropriate cad, etc) you must supply
the dsm.opt file fo the service to use.  For the first nodename on the server,
this is typically the Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt file.  When installing the
second set of services for an alternate nodename, you must supply an alternate
dsm.opt file.

If you run a dsmadmc -console while starting the CAD, you may notice that, when
the scheduler service contacts the TSM Server, it touches the server twice.
Under normal circumstances, this is just something I shrugged off as an
'interesting' thing.

However, after the second service instance is installed, when starting up the
CAD, I noticed that the the first of those two connections was using the wrong
nodename - instead of connecting to the TSM server with the nodename of the
second service, it connected with the nodename of the first service.  The
second connection attempt then proceeded to use the correct nodename.   Not
knowing exactly what information is sent on each of those connections, I do not
know the implications of this.

Basically what was happening was that when the scheduler service first starts
it grabbed the default dsm.opt location, instead of using the dsm.opt file
defined for that service.  By the time it makes it's second connection attempt,
it's read the correct dsm.opt file.

The temporary band-aid was to configure the first scheduler service to use a
*non-standard* dsm.opt - the result being that when the second service tried to
connect using the default location, it failed to find a dsm.opt file there, and
simply connected sucessfully on the second attempt, using the correct dsm.opt
file.

More recently, I've noticed that when this situation occurs, if you set the
first service to use a non-standard dsm.opt file, during the install process I
initially get an error message stating that the service 'Could not find
c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\dsm.opt' , even though that's not the
dsm.opt file I told it to read.  The service then goes and sucessfully
installs.  *shrug*.

It doesn't appear to be causing any real grief, but I'm wondering if I'm the
only one seeing this behavior or not, and if anyone may know of any genuine
grief this could cause?

regards,

Paul