ADSM-L

Re: My SQL

2005-02-12 10:59:58
Subject: Re: My SQL
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:59:32 -0500
John Monahan wrote:
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/11/2005
11:26:44 AM:

On Feb 11, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Joe Crnjanski wrote:

Another simple question,

HOW we can backup My SQL database.

I have a customer with around 5GB MySQL database. Backup is over the
internet, so dump file backup is out of question.

A not-so-simple answer...which is:
"Hmmm... MySQL has an API, and TSM has an API, so an enterprising
customer programmer could..."

I'm kind of surprised to not heard of someone producing a "Customer
Data Protection" client for MySQL, given the potential. There might be
one out there.

    Richard Sims

Well, there just happens to be a new draft redpiece on this topic.
"Backing Up Linux Databases with the TSM API"

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/redp3980.html?Open

______________________________
John Monahan
Senior Consultant Enterprise Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109
Cell: 952-221-6938
http://www.computechresources.com

Interestingly enough, we've just moved our data warehouse from MySQL to
PostgreSQL and I was investigating something similar. PGSQL will
actually let you archive log files with a userexit command similar to
DB2 and deal with return codes. I was going to attempt to recompile a
DB2 userexit and use that as a log archiving command. I was just wishing
there was something similar to db2adutl though.

It looks like adsmpipe has that functionality as well.

This is a really good move for IBM because there is a market waiting to
be exploited by TSM in the opensource database arena as some
enterprising intern has just documented.