ADSM-L

Re: ANS1329S (RC29) Server out of data storage space..... But not really!

2005-02-09 23:06:57
Subject: Re: ANS1329S (RC29) Server out of data storage space..... But not really!
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:06:33 -0500
Yes, I checked all the pertinent things... at the time the message was
issued, the disk pool had 85GB available, the tape pool had over 600GB
available (on FILLING volumes), and there were 4 scratches up for grabs.
The tape pool has maxscratch=999, and there are only 55 volumes currently
in the pool.  Maximum size threshold for the disk pool is No Limit.  The
database being backed up is a total of about 89GB, but there are several
table spaces, and I doubt that the object being backed up was > 85GB.
Other objects from the same backup that succeeded earlier were around 18GB.
Couple things I don't know:
- how to determine the size of the current object (only see that after it
is done)
- how does RMAN determine the object sizes?
- what size does TDP/API "reserve"? size of entire data base? (makes sense)
- why doesn't it move on to the tape pool? (my guess is, once it tries to
allocate to disk, it stays on disk, unlike the BA client)

Anyone know of any tech resources (presentations, white papers, etc.) that
explain the process TDP/API use to request space?

(BTW, my TSM server is 5.2.3.2, TDP 5.2, API 5.1.5, BA client 5.1.1)

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                      Ben Bullock
                      <bbullock@MICRON
                      .COM>            To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:  cc:
                      Dist Stor        Subject:
                      Manager"                 Re: ANS1329S (RC29) Server out
of data storage space.....  But not really!
                      <[email protected]
                      T.EDU>

                      02/09/2005 12:10
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Did you check the setting of the maxscratch on the tapepool, and then
check to see how many tapes are in use?

Ben