ADSM-L

Re: Intel Server image backup/restore

2005-02-09 13:56:39
Subject: Re: Intel Server image backup/restore
From: Egon Blouder <egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:56:10 -0500
Hi,

I've built a bootable windows cd (win pe or bartpe). Boot off the CD start dsmc
client util for image backup or image restore.
As far as I can remember image support is only supported on Windows OS. However
you could dump the disk to a file (e.g. using dd) and backup that file to TSM.

Regards,

..--

Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We're setting up a shared user acceptance testing facility here.  The idea is
>that each  app will be set up ready for testing of clean machines, and then
>application and system images will be taken.  When the app is due to be tested
> the server images are restored and testing is done.  Then the next app rolls
>in and reuses the same servers with its images and so on.
>
>There are a number of commerical products that can provide images, but they
>generally need molto infrastructure as well, not to mention licence costs.
>I've hit upon the idea of a linux bootable CD (say superrescue based) with a
>TSM client that could backup any raw disk.
>
>I realize that there is PC-Bax out there, but has anyone attempted such a
>beast, how did it work, and can you share your tips?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Steve.
>
>Steve Harris
>TSM Admin
>Queensland Health
>Brisbane Australia
>

>***********************************************************************************
>This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for
>the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived
>or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it
>is transmitted/received in error.
>
>Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
>email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
>if it relates to health service matters.
>
>If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email
>in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
>return email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies
>produced.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.