ADSM-L

ANS1329S (RC29) Server out of data storage space..... But not really!

2005-02-09 12:07:55
Subject: ANS1329S (RC29) Server out of data storage space..... But not really!
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:04:29 -0500
Has anyone encountered the subject message?

We saw it today in a Oracle RMAN backup...  what I think happened is, at
the time the backup script started, there was not enough space in the
ORACLE_DISK pool, nor in the ORACLE_LTO2 pool which is next in the
heirarchy.  Other sessions of the same job were still working, and we added
scratches and ran a migration while this backup job was still running.  The
script terminated much later, I think when the other sessions finished...
but why couldn't it recover and use the newly available disk space or
scratch tapes?

There isn't a whole lot of detail in the TDP manual about how server space
gets reserved and allocated...  but it seems from experience that TDP looks
for enough space to hold the entire full backup.  Can anyone confirm this?

TIA

Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs