ADSM-L

Re: Number of HBA's

2005-02-09 06:59:28
Subject: Re: Number of HBA's
From: "John E. Vincent" <adsm-l-alias AT CLACORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:59:06 -0500
Stef Coene wrote:
On Tuesday 08 February 2005 21:10, Ben Bullock wrote:

The documents say you are supposed to NOT have SAN and tape
devices running on the same HBAs.

Mhh, can you point me to a paper stating this?  I can't find any.
I can find the rule that a tape drive must be on a separate zone from the
disks.  But it can still be the same HBA in the host.

Stef

Well what it really boils down to is the following two things:

1) Do you really want to slow disk access for tape traffic
and
2) Is it a supported configuration. I've been told flat out by IBM that
it is NOT a supported configuration. So as much as I would like to give
my TSM server some space on the SAN, I don't have room for another HBA
(x335) and I'm not about to go unsupported for it.

John