ADSM-L

Re: Number of HBA's

2005-02-09 06:39:25
Subject: Re: Number of HBA's
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:39:05 +0100
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 00:33, Mark D. Rodriguez wrote:
> Stef,
>
> There are several ways to accomplish this.  However,, you didn't give us
> all the details so I will make some assumptions.  I will assume you are
> using at least 2 switches for redundant paths.  I will assume that the
> oracle backup is meant to be Lan-Free directly to tape.
2 x 2GBit switches will be used.  The oracle backup will be indeed Lan-Free.

> I would zone the SAN fabric to separate disk traffic from tape traffic.
This is a must as stated in most SAN books.  Zoning is needed to make sure the
tape drive don't see the disk data and vise versa.

> The ITSM server should have at minimum 1 HBA for disk to each switch and
> 1HBA for tape to each switch.  Then each switch would be connected to
> both the disks and the tape drives.  If you will require greater
> throughput then you will need to add more HBAs
The question is: is it really needed to have separate HBA's for disk and tape?
Can disk and tape go over the same HBA ??  If it's needed, I need 6 HBA's: 4
for the tapes and 2 for the disks.

> The oracle server will need at least 2 HBAs one for disk and one for
> tape traffic.  However, this will not provide you with any fail over
> protection if the switch you are using goes down.  Add another 2 HBAs to
> the other switch for optimal availability.  Having 2 HBAs for disk
> traffic will obviously improve your disk I/O performance and may in fact
> be required be this system to get good oracle performance.
To be able to connect a pSerie to a FAStT, it's needed to have 2 HBA's.  You
can do it with 1 HBA, but that's not recommended.

Stef