ADSM-L

Intel Server image backup/restore

2005-02-08 23:34:18
Subject: Intel Server image backup/restore
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:33:00 +1000
Hi all,

We're setting up a shared user acceptance testing facility here.  The idea is
that each  app will be set up ready for testing of clean machines, and then
application and system images will be taken.  When the app is due to be tested
the server images are restored and testing is done.  Then the next app rolls in
and reuses the same servers with its images and so on.

There are a number of commerical products that can provide images, but they
generally need molto infrastructure as well, not to mention licence costs.
I've hit upon the idea of a linux bootable CD (say superrescue based) with a
TSM client that could backup any raw disk.

I realize that there is PC-Bax out there, but has anyone attempted such a
beast, how did it work, and can you share your tips?

Many thanks

Steve.

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane Australia

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.