ADSM-L

Re: Open File (using lvsa) for windows client 5.3.0.0

2005-02-04 11:47:56
Subject: Re: Open File (using lvsa) for windows client 5.3.0.0
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:47:33 -0700
It should also be noted that OFS backups will not work with Windows
terminal server (if you look up message ANS1401W, you will see this).
While you might have been using the XP Remote Desktop to access the client
machine, it is the Terminal Server on the client machine (Windows 2000)
that is at issue.

And Eric's second post regarding IC42975 is correct: this APAR is not an
issue in 5.3.0.0. :-)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-02-04
08:04:40:

> I'm not certain what the problem is, but some suggestions:
>
> - Try backing up one drive at a time. See if that makes any difference.
> - Remove (or comment out) SNAPSHOTFSIDLEWAIT.
> - For performance purposes, we recommend you not specify the
> LARGECOMMBUFFERS option (which is deprecated and thus ignored in 5.3).
> - Remove (or comment out) TCPWINDOWSIZE and TCPBUFFSIZE, and use the
> default values instead (which were changed for better "out-of-the-box"
> performance in 5.3).
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Raibeck
> IBM Software Group
> Tivoli Storage Manager Client Development
> Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
>
> The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
> The command line is your friend.
> "Good enough" is the enemy of excellence.
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-02-04
> 07:36:46:
>
> > I posted the error messages with my original note, but here they are
> > again:
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:27 ANS1327W The snapshot operation for 'D:\*'
failed.
> > Error code: 673.
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:28 ANS1401W The snapshot virtual volume is not
> > accessible.
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:28 ANS1376W Unable to perform operation using a
> > point-in-time copy of the filesystem. The backup/archive
> >  operation will continue without snapshot support.
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:38 ANS1327W The snapshot operation for 'C:\*'
failed.
> > Error code: 673.
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:39 ANS1401W The snapshot virtual volume is not
> > accessible.
> >  02/04/2005 09:28:39 ANS1376W Unable to perform operation using a
> > point-in-time copy of the filesystem. The backup/archive operation
will
> > continue without snapshot support.
> >
> > Also, I have done several more tests, and using an immediate action
> > command or using the web client does not generate the error, only
using
> > the native gui.  The client guide, apars etc note that OFS cant be
used
> > via terminal services, but that it will work when using remote desktop
> > via xp (which is what I use).  I guess I'll have to truck down to the
> > data center and try the native gui directly from the server.
> >
> > Of course, I can only assume the backups without error messages were
> > using OFM - I cant find any indication that it did or did not.  Is
there
> > some flag somewhere (similar to the little note at the top of the log
> > when it is using journals) that indicates when a backup is coming from
> > snapshot?

Any
> > pointers on how to begin to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
The