ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't

2005-01-28 07:56:19
Subject: Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:54:34 -0500
Thanks for the "war story", as pathetic as it is.

The machine I am trying to install it on is an older Dell 1.4Ghz P4 with
512MB of ram (meets the requirements as listed on IBM's website). There
are very few programs installed and almost nothing running (was my old
desktop).

I can not tell my superiors that I need at least 2GB of ram to install a
program (not this machine - it still uses RAMBUS, which is still
ridiculously $$$$) that monitors/controls TSM servers when TSMManager runs
on a 256MB W2K server, with no issues.

There has to be another answer !

Looks like I need to kill a few hours and talk to IBM support !

David Wellington <David_Wellington AT UK.IBM DOT COM>
01/28/2005 03:11 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't

Hi,

I've just spent 3 weeks or so trying to install ISC on a virtual machine
and have experience many problems. The install would fail at the 15% mark
everytime.

Each time the install failed I looked in the logs that it told me too, and
like you, it was full of rubbish. At no stage was there ever an error
message that told me what the problem was.

In the end, after trying many different things, including upgrading Java,
increased the memory allocation to the virtual machine and it installed up
to 66% complete before failing. I then increased the memory again, and
after yet another 4 hours, the install finally completed.

In the end, I had some 2Gb of memory allocated to the virtual machine.

Hopefully, this information maybe of some help.

Regards.

David Wellington

             Zoltan
             Forray/AC/VCU
             <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     TSM 5.3 and ISC install - won't

             27/01/2005 19:24

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Speaking of the "topic of the day", I thought I would install the ISC,
just to see what the fuss is all about (I use TSMManager for pretty much
everything TSM wise).  Especially since I just upgraded my test TSM
server.

I have now tried *FOUR* times to install this wonderful product, only to
fail each time.

After wandering through the /Program Files/IBM/ISC/log.txt file (per the
error message) and then following the bouncing-ball to the
*:\...\Temp\ISCRuntimeInstall.log file (filled with Java jibberish), I
find the error message:

WizardException: (error code = 200; message="C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code =
200; message = "C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program
Files\IBM\ISC\PortalServer\config\wpconfig.properties (The system cannot
find the path specified)])])
        at
com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile.writeFile(ModifyFile.java:280)
        at
com.installshield.wizardx.actions.AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.execute(AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.java:171)

        at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.execute(StandardWizardListener.java:123)

        at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.currentBeanChanged(StandardWizardListener.java:106)

        at com.installshield.wizard.Wizard$RunThread.run(Wizard.java:1564)

I installed the latest JAVA (after the first two failed attempts).

I have completely deleted the ISC and TEMP directories before each attempt
(after the first failure, the second attempt told me that ISC was already
installed, when it had not finished).

I have disabled all firewalls, blockers, etc.

The system is W2K. There is 8GB free disk space and 1GB of RAM !

So, can someone tell me how to resolve this ?