ADSM-L

Re: Server Performance decreasing rapidly: help!

2005-01-28 04:41:14
Subject: Re: Server Performance decreasing rapidly: help!
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:40:35 +0000
Joni Moyer wrote

>>I was just wondering how my bufpoolsize> region size?  My region size is
>>512MB and my bufpoolsize is 270336KB which equals out to 264MB.  Is that
an
>>incorrect statement?  I'm still trying to find the command to increase
my
>>maxquickfree bytes.  Does anyone know this command?  As you can see, I'm
in
>>need of increasing it...  Thanks!

>>MAX initial storage  536870912  (512.0 MB)
>>    Freeheld bytes 13592207  (13.0 MB)
>>    MaxQuickFree bytes 10737418  (10.2 MB)
>>    0 Page buffers of 13107 : 84 buffers of 1638.
>>    12 Large buffers of 819 : 69 XLarge buffers of 102.
>>   2375 buffers free: 71682 hiAlloc buffers: 51214 current buffers.
>>   33689 units of 264 bytes hiAlloc: 33685 units of 264 bytes hiCur.

Sorry Joni I am used to thinking of buffer pool in 4 kb pages, so I
stupidly took your query opt value x 4
By the way according to your opt the value is 134 mb not 268 mb.
Anyway having said that your bufferpool size is large compared to your
region size.
OS390 is arguably not the best place for your size of database, as unless
you have a dedicated lpar you
are likely to be sharing memory and cpu with competing applications as I
have to, so your performance will never match what you can get out of a
dedicated unix box.
You or your performance person need to look at RMF or similar tool to see
how much real memory your TSM address space is using and whether it is
having to page frequently. As Bill Kelly said earlier increasing your
region size will increase MaxQuickFree bytes. At 768mb as mine is you get
15mb of MaxQuickFree bytes
However the undocumented and hemce unsupported show memu command certainly
does work under z/OS so it ought
to work under os390. If you can't get it to work from the os390 command
line, try it from the admin web browser. The command to double your
MaxQuickFree bytes is :-
show memu set maxquick 21474836
Can't remember whether it is case sensitive or not, so if it doesn't work
lower case try upper.

cheers,
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this email (or
any attachments to it) is not an offer capable of acceptance or acceptance of
an offer and it does not form part of a binding contractual agreement.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.