ADSM-L

Re: Server Performance decreasing rapidly: help!

2005-01-27 10:44:11
Subject: Re: Server Performance decreasing rapidly: help!
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:43:49 -0500
The REGION is set to 512MB within the startup JCL.  I didn't know what the
max. is for the region size, so I didn't change that.  I will have to look
into increasing that as well.  Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "Joe Howell"
             <JHowell@SHELTERI
             NSURANCE.COM>                                              To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Server Performance decreasing
                                       rapidly: help!

             01/27/2005 10:23
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

What's your REGION set to on the startup jcl?  We're using 768M, but then
we appear to be a smaller implementation than you based on your database
size.

#######################

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
(573)-214-6534
jhowell AT shelterinsurance DOT com

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
01/27/2005 08:34 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Server Performance decreasing rapidly: help!

Hey!

The performance on our TSM server is going down rapidly.  It is on os/390
at level 5.2.2.5.

I have the following settings:

Server Option      Option Setting        Server Option      Option Setting

-----------------  --------------------  -----------------
--------------------
CommTimeOut        600                   IdleTimeOut        90

BufPoolSize        135168                LogPoolSize        4096

DateFormat         1 (mm/dd/yyyy)        TimeFormat         1 (hh:mm:ss)

NumberFormat       1 (1,000.00)          MessageFormat      1

Language           AMENG                 Alias Halt         HALT

MaxSessions        300                   ExpInterval        0

ExpQuiet           No                    EventServer        Yes

MirrorRead DB      Normal                MirrorRead LOG     Normal

MirrorWrite DB     Sequential            MirrorWrite LOG    Parallel

VolumeHistory      'SYS1.TSM.B1.VOLHIS-  VolumeHistory
'SYS1.TSM.A1.VOLHIS-
                    T'                                       T'

Devconfig          'SYS1.TSM.B1.DEVCON-  Devconfig
'SYS1.TSM.A1.DEVCON-
                    F'                                       F'

TxnGroupMax        256                   MoveBatchSize      1000

MoveSizeThresh     2048                  StatusMsgCnt       10

RestoreInterval    1,440                 UseLargeBuffers    Yes

DisableScheds      No                    NOBUFPREfetch      No

AuditStorage       Yes                   REQSYSauthoutfile  Yes

SELFTUNEBUFpools-  Yes                   SELFTUNETXNsize    No

 ize

DBPAGEShadow       No                    DBPAGESHADOWFile   dbpgshdw.bdt

MsgStackTrace      On                    QueryAuth          None

LogWarnFullPerCe-  90                    ThroughPutDataTh-  0

 nt                                       reshold

ThroughPutTimeTh-  0                     NOPREEMPT          ( No )

 reshold

Resource Timeout   60                    TEC UTF8 Events    No

CommOpenTimeOut    20                    TcpPort            1500

TcpAdminport       1500                  TcpName            TCPIP2

HttpTcpPort        1580                  TECHost

TECPort            0                     UNIQUETECevents    No

UNIQUETDPTECeven-  No                    IcsPort            1500

 ts

ICSAdminport       1500                  IcsSname           *NONE*

PDMPort            1580                  PDMName            *NONE*

PDMConnect         PDM                   TAPEIOBufs         1

UserExit                                 FileExit

FileTextExit                             HttpIcsPort        1580

DeletionExit       ARCTVEXT              MsgSuppress        *NONE*

LuName             *NONE*                Iucv               *NONE*

RouteCode          11                    MsgHilight         *NONE*

MPThreading        No                    TCPBufsize         32,768

HPDTenable         Yes                   HPDTstorage        ECSA

HPDTbuffer#        6                     HPDTexpand#        2

NOLONG             ( No )

The q db f=d is showing me that the cache hit% just keeps going down.
    Available Space (MB): 116,320
        Assigned Capacity (MB): 108,456
        Maximum Extension (MB): 7,864
        Maximum Reduction (MB): 16,804
             Page Size (bytes): 4,096
            Total Usable Pages: 27,764,736
                    Used Pages: 23,466,774
                      Pct Util: 84.5
                 Max. Pct Util: 84.5
              Physical Volumes: 50
             Buffer Pool Pages: 33,792
         Total Buffer Requests: 50,768,552
                Cache Hit Pct.: 97.63
               Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00

And the Log Pool Pct. Util is greater than 0.
Available Space (MB): 11,636
     Assigned Capacity (MB): 7,576
     Maximum Extension (MB): 4,060
     Maximum Reduction (MB): 7,244
          Page Size (bytes): 4,096
         Total Usable Pages: 1,938,944
                 Used Pages: 84,073
                   Pct Util: 4.3
              Max. Pct Util: 5.7
           Physical Volumes: 5
             Log Pool Pages: 1,024
         Log Pool Pct. Util: 0.57

What am I doing wrong?  Any ideas?  I am at a loss.  Thank you in advance!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com

This e-mail is intended only for its addressee and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by
e-mail:
postmaster AT shelterinsurance DOT com, and delete the original message.