ADSM-L

Re: How to get a tape drive to stream?

2005-01-26 14:45:26
Subject: Re: How to get a tape drive to stream?
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:25:32 -0600
Your RAID-5 array ay not be fast enough for the tape drive.  LTO-1 drives,
with compression enabled, may need the disk to be read at 60 MB/second to
keep the tape streaming.  Most systems cannot sustain such a rate.  Your
best alternative is to turn the compression off on the drives.  You may
use more tape, but you have a better chance of achieving 15 MB/second
writes to the tape.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

"Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
01/26/2005 10:15 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
How to get a tape drive to stream?

But does someone have a pointer to some 'tips & tricks' or FAQ to help
me get these LTO tape drives streaming with TSM on Windows 2000?

The drives seem to be doing about 3MB/sec per drive, no matter what is
going on in the server.  This is about the right speed for stop/start
programmed I/O processing.

My config is TSM 4.3 on Windows 2K server (2 1.2G Xenon, 1G RAM)

My SCSI attached LTO-1 drives are on Adaptec controllers (IBM branded),
with two tape drives per controller.  I have 3 identical SCSI
controllers with two drives each (one also has my 3583 library on it).

Disks (6 72G 10K drives, in two partitions) are attached to one RAID
card, and are RAID 5.

I can't get just running a single tape drive streaming, with nothing
going on in my system (db backup only,  no backups, no reclamation, no
expiration, etc)

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. ...

... Desperate in Houston ... JC