ADSM-L

Re: TSM client uppgrade 5.1.7.3 to 5.2.3.11

2005-01-25 05:14:40
Subject: Re: TSM client uppgrade 5.1.7.3 to 5.2.3.11
From: Henrik Wahlstedt <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:14:29 +0100
Ok and thanks for your answer Andy.

It makes me curious.. Why and when would I use SYSTEM OBJECT in a w2k3
restore with a 5.2 client. It got to be a reason why that possibility still
exist?
Documentations only mentions restore systemstate/systemservices on w2k3.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=restore+%2bwindows&uid=swg21164812&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

//Henrik

                    Andrew

                    Raibeck              To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <[email protected]        cc:     (bcc: Henrik Wahlstedt)

                    BM.COM>              Subject:     Re: TSM client uppgrade
5.1.7.3 to 5.2.3.11
                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    2005-01-24

                    15:21

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

The 5.2 (and higher) client uses Microsoft's Volume Snapshot Services
(VSS) for backing up Windows 2003 system state and system services,
whereas the 5.1 client uses the Microsoft "legacy" API functions. The two
methods are incompatible and cannot be converted between each other. Since
the SYSTEM OBJECT file space is still restorable by the 5.2 client, the
5.3 client does not delete that file space. Once you have been running the
5.3 client for a period time, you can delete the old SYSTEM OBJECT file
space at your discretion.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2005-01-24
06:43:08:

> Hi,
>
> If I upgrade TSM client on a w2k3 server, 5.1.7.3 to 5.2.3.11. Then I
have
> SYSTEM OBJECT´s in 'q fi'. Compared to a clean install of 5.2.3.11.
> Why does SYSTEM OBJECT remain? I think SYSTEM OBJECT should be converted
or
> expired... hopefully I´m just missing something here...
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> TSM server on w2k, 5.2.2.5.
>
> Upgraded 5.1.7.3 to 5.2.3.11, q fi:
> Node Name           Filespace Name
> ---------------     ----------
> STO-TW01            SYSTEM OBJECT
> STO-TW01            \\sto-tw01 \c$
> STO-TW01            SYSTEM STATE
> STO-TW01            SYSTEM SERVICES
> STO-TW01            ASR
>

> 5.2.3.11, q fi:
> Node Name           Filespace Name
> ---------------     ----------
> STO-TW09            SYSTEM SERVICES
> STO-TW09            SYSTEM STATE
> STO-TW09            ASR
> STO-TW09            \\sto-tw09\c$
>

> tia
> //Henrik

> The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is
> intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorised use, dissemination of
the
> information or copying of this message is prohibited. If you are not the
> addressee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete
> this message.
> Thank you.

this message.