ADSM-L

Tape volume in wrong storage pool/devclass?

2005-01-24 15:31:46
Subject: Tape volume in wrong storage pool/devclass?
From: Joe Howell <JHowell AT SHELTERINSURANCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:31:26 -0600
This is very weird - has anyone else ever seen anything like this?  TSM
5.2 on z/OS 1.4, using a 3494 ATL.  I was running reclamation on my
offsite copy storage pool over the weekend and got a "mount failed" error
on a volume.  Investigation showed that the volume was being requested by
TSM and the request could not be filled by RMM because the volume was
offsite.  When I did a "q vol", TSM showed that 1) the volume was in the
ONSITE primary tape pool and 2) had a dataset name that corresponds with
my ONSITE tape device class.  RMM, however, showed that the volume had a
different dataset name, one that corresponds with my OFFSITE tape device
class.  We recalled the volume (which WAS in the vault offsite) and dumped
the label, which agreed with what RMM said.

As the volume was created three weeks or so ago, and my oldest TSM log
isn't that old, I can't pursue this any further.  Somehow this volume got
created and reused without one of TSM or RMM "knowing" about it, but I
can't figure out how.  This isn't the first strangeness I've seen lately -
I had a volume get mounted for write during a copy stgpool operation;
later on it was released as empty but the RMM exit apparently wasn't
driven, so it got sent offsite, but TSM still thought it was available and
later tried to request a mount to write on it.  Level 2 and I are still
scratching our heads over that one.

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
(573)-214-6534
jhowell AT shelterinsurance DOT com

This e-mail is intended only for its addressee and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
e-mail:
postmaster AT shelterinsurance DOT com, and delete the original message.