ADSM-L

Re: Why do database restores take so long?

2005-01-21 19:55:40
Subject: Re: Why do database restores take so long?
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:40:18 -0600
This is 3 MB/second, which is typical of LTO-1 performance when the drive
is NOT streaming.  Switching to LTO-2 technologies should greatly improve
on this restore time.  DLT drives have the same issues.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

"Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
01/21/05 05:54 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Why do database restores take so long?

I did a restore of our database last Monday.  It took about 5.5 hours
for 60G with nothing else running on the server, with an LTO-1 tape
drive, SCSI attached, to our IBM 3583 library.  This is in a Windows2000
environment, but even at that, this is VERY slow.  The daily full backup
of the database seems to take the same amount of time.

I would like for the database restore to be faster, but the backup is a
problem too.

I would like to know how to make a database backup to a remote DISK
drive (or a TSM-DR system) and how to restore the database on that
system from that disk drive file! (Pointers to admin docs would be fine!
:) )