ADSM-L

Re: Why do database restores take so long?

2005-01-21 18:16:31
Subject: Re: Why do database restores take so long?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:16:18 -0600
Dave,

Our database disk system consists of four 18 GB SCSI disks in a split
(dual-bus) disk pod connected to a dual-channel LVDS adapter.  The
Recovery Log in on another pair of such disks.  One set of disks on one
bus holds the primary database and log volumes; two DB and one log disk.
Each DB/log volume is mirrored to an identical volume/disk on the other
bus.  So the mirror read/writes occur on independent buses downstream of
the PCI slot.  The database consists of four volumes per disk of about 4
GB each.  All database and log volumes are defined on JFS2 file systems.
The LVDS adapter is the IBM 64-bit dual-channel adapter called "PCI DUAL
CHANNEL ULTRA3 SCSI ADAPTER", Part Number 09P2544.
The disks are "16 Bit LVD SCSI Disk Drive (18200 MB)", Machine Type and
Model = ST318305LC which I *think* is 15K rpm.
The server is a 2-way 6H1 64-bit 600 MHz with 4 GB RAM, tuned for just
about zero paging. TSM DB buffer pool is 1 GB.
Like I said, when backing up to our HP 4/40 DLT via HVD SCSI, topas
reports a consistent 11 MB/s, such that a typical backup takes just about
45-50 minutes including the tape mount.
The restore took slightly over three hours; and the 3:1 ratio is not out
of line based on other responses.

Thanks.

Tab

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/20/2005
11:27:02 PM: