ADSM-L

Re: Accessing a retired server's backup on Tivoli server

2005-01-21 12:19:08
Subject: Re: Accessing a retired server's backup on Tivoli server
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:18:55 -0500
You don't say what your client platform is, so I'll assume Windows; you can
make adjustments as necessary if this is a UNIX type system.

*       You will need either the password for the retired server, or a TSM
admin password with at least DOMAIN authority.
*       Log in to a machine you want to restore files TO.
*       Open a a DOS/CMD window
*       cd to c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient
*       start the TSM client this way:
                dsm -virtualnode=OLDSERVER
*       a box will pop up with the nodename OLDSERVER, asking for its password
*       type the password, or:
        type over OLDSERVER with your admin id and password
*       the client will open as usual, but the tree you will see is the TSM
inventory of files for OLDSERVER, not the machine you are logged on to
*       you can navigate the tree and do restores as usual, EXCEPT:
        you cannot specify "restore to original location" on the restore; you
MUST point the restore to a directory on the current machine

Restriction:
If OLDSERVER is windows, you must restore to a Windows machine
if OLDSERVER is unix, you must restore to a unix machine with a pretty
compatible file system

Wanda Prather
"* I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O *"  -(me)