ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB -- How big is too big?

2005-01-21 11:58:36
Subject: Re: TSM DB -- How big is too big?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:58:21 -0800
You CAN share a library between multiple instances on the same server.

If you cut things over to a new TSM instance before all the Oracle backups are
expired on the old instance then your Oracle DBA's will need to clean up the
RMAN cataloge I believe.  This is because RMAN and not TSM controls the
expiration of the DB Backups.

If you start a new instance using the export command with the "TOSERVER" option
is something to consider.  It WILL read data off a tape and then write it to a
new tape but it will be a single read and write instead of two like it used to
be before the option existed.

Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM> wrote:
Fellow TSM experts,

I know this question has no definitive answer, but I have to ask because of
our situation.
My TSM database is currently about 220GB, 98% utilized and growing
steadily. It hasn't posed a serious problem, other than having to throw
disk at it. Backup takes 1.5 - 2 hours to LTO2 tape.
I also have an overflowed STK L700 library... 14 LTO2 drives, 6 DLT drives,
618 slots.... about 450 carts on a rack in the computer room

I'm considering a couple of options...
1) Freeze current database (shut it down) and start over with a new one.
May need to bring the old one up for occasional restore... lots of
unanswered questions here, like how will this work with RMAN - TDP Oracle?
2) Split into two or more TSM's -- maybe one for Disaster Recovery (i.e.
hot site) machines, and two or three more split by platform or application.

Both options will require sharing our library (until we get an additional
one), and I'm not sure that can be done by multiple TSMs on the same host
machine.
Both options create a much more complex TSM environment to manage... right
now everything is nice and simple - one TSM, one library.

So, I'm open to suggestions & comments.... is a 220GB database
justification to create a more complex environment, and is it feasible on
one host? (Host is an HP rp7410 running HP-UX 11i, and could be
partitioned if needed).

Thanks
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs