ADSM-L

Re: dirmc question

2005-01-20 14:14:15
Subject: Re: dirmc question
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:13:41 -0500
Andy,

Thanks for the reference. I was wondering if you could clarify your
point about the paramaters for verexists and verdeleted. You stated:

>you can create a managment class for your directories with
>VEREXISTS=3DNOLIMIT, VERDELETED=3DNOLIMIT, and RETEXTRA=3Dndays,
>where 'ndays' is the number of days to which you will guarantee PIT
>restores via the GUI. For example, if you want to be able to go back up
> to 30 days, then set RETEXTRA=3D30. Beyond 30 days, you will need to
>use the CLI.

Is the 3D still accepted syntax (this was 2001 after all) and how is
that interpreted?

as always, thanks for your attention!

Andrew Raibeck wrote:

Yes, TSM handles directory versioning the same as files.

What does

dsmc query backup c:\yourfoldername -subdir=yes -inactive

show you? (Substitute the folder name in question where I have
"c:\yourfoldername".)

Go to http://search.adsm.org and do a search on

   +raibeck +pit +gui +nolimit

For a couple of old posts from me that discuss this subject.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/20/2005
08:43:27:

Does TSM handle folder versioning the same as files? That is, if a user
clicks on a folder to get to a file in it is the folder updated such
that a new version is backed up?

I'm looking for a reason a GUI PIT restore wouldn't display a folder and
it's contents that were obviously there. I'm using DIRMC and have extra
versions and ver del set to one plus the values in the files MC, but if
a folder gets backed up everytime it's touched then there probably
aren't enough versions data exists.

thanks,
Jim

--