ADSM-L

Re: Very slow backup

2005-01-20 13:37:56
Subject: Re: Very slow backup
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:37:09 -0500
On Jan 20, 2005, at 12:46 PM, Yury Us wrote:

Hi everybody,
Recently I have upgraded AIX TSM server to TSM5.2.3.3 and here is a
problem.
AIX clients work very slow. I have mixture of 5.1.5 and 5.2.0 clients.
Windows clients worked fine and fast though. I tried switch off
compression - did not help, next I let it use up to 8 sessions
simultaneously - the same result. Neither server nor clients have any
performance problem.

Any comments would be kindly appreciated.

This kind of thing has been discussed many, many times - see the List
archives for numerous past questions. Also see "Backup performance" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts for well known gotchas.

You didn't tell us what level of AIX is involved: early v5 levels had
some a few problems unto themselves. But you really have to do the
analysis yourself, as you have the system which needs to be analyzed.
You may have network misconfiguration problems (autonegotiation, etc.)
If you watch the backup log from the client side and see it taking a
long time to put out the next files count, where no data is being sent
to the server, then you have file system issues. You can also watch the
backup (Query Session) from the server side and look for issues there.
Competing activity, paging, disk problems, and other factors in the
operating system will also limit what Backup can do in competing for
resources. Your retries value is also a big factor, in a volatile file
system. It's all a matter of examining ingredients and narrowing down
the problem.

    Richard Sims