ADSM-L

Re: Moving clients between TSM servers

2005-01-20 12:02:01
Subject: Re: Moving clients between TSM servers
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:01:47 -0500
You are correct that there is not much recourse when you have a tape
error during an import.

Export/Import via server-to-server is a hard way to go with extremely
large amounts of data, which is why, as others have said, sites
frequently choose to NOT transfer the old backups.

You are NOT going to make this work with a 100MB connection, period.
(Would you expect to FTP a TB of data over a 100MB connection?  I think
NOT!)

If your management wants the data transferred, your choices are

1) pay for a faster connection

(And you'll STILL have problems getting it done server-to-server - would
you want to FTP a TB of data over a 1Gb connection?  Still NOT!)

2) Buy, beg, rent, borrow a standalone 3590 external drive to connect to
your AIX box, configure as a manual TSM library.

(You'll have a good chance of borrowing one from the IBM'er who sold you
the AIX box.)  Export to 3590 cartridge from Z/OS, import from the
standalone drive to AIX.  Much faster.  Much better solution for bulk
data.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)

.