ADSM-L

Re: Cache Hit % below 99%

2005-01-20 11:23:14
Subject: Re: Cache Hit % below 99%
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:19:06 +0100
Hi Brian

As for the VM settings for SUN im not sure all thoose settings are
applicable on SUN. I do know you have a comparable tool to modify file
system cache settings, read ahead settings and so on. Perhaps anyone else
on the list has more experience than me on kernel tuning on Sun?

For the bufpool setting I would recommend that you increase the bufpool if
the TSM server is running on dedicated hardware. Today you're using 256MB
of memory for database buffers. Check to see how much free memory you have
during normal operations. I would guess you could easily double the
bufpool on your database to increase performance. That would mean 131072
or 512MB of RAM.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Chef Utveckling & Drift
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Scott, Brian" <bscott AT EDS DOT COM>
2005-01-20 17:16
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Cache Hit % below 99%

Daniel,

Do you have the same recommendations for a Sun TSM server? We have a Sun
Fire 6800 with 4 TSM instances per domain for a total of 3 domains and 4GB
RAM. Our current buffpool size is 65535 and cache hit % is 98.42.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Scott
EDS - GCE-GM