ADSM-L

Re: Server to server with different managementclasses

2005-01-19 19:20:02
Subject: Re: Server to server with different managementclasses
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:19:17 -0500
Steve, set up two policy domains on the target server, with a node
type=server in each to be used by the source server. In one PD, create a
default management class where the archive copygroup destination is disk.
In the other PD create a default MC where the archive copy group
destination is a disk/tape hierarchy or just tape. On the source server,
define the two servers with the IP of the target server and the two
respective virtual volumes node names. Then define two device classes, one
to use the server that uses the node in the target server PD to only send
data to disk. The other device class on the source server uses the second
server definition where the node is the one that sends data to the
disk/tape hierarchy. Then use the first devclass for the data base backups
and the second devclass for your virtual volume copy pool.

I have used this approach for backupsets and copy pool differentiation
such that I could the tapes at the target server that contained the
archive objects for the backupset at the source server out of the tape
library, whereas the archive objects for the copy storage pool virtual
volumes stayed inside the library to be ready for reclamation. In this
shop, the backupsets were used as a means of doing annual "archives" for a
given set of server where the likelihood of anyone wanting access to this
data was nil.

Hope I mumbled clearly.

Joerg Pohlmann
604-535-0452

Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
2005-01-19 01:12
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Server to server with different managementclasses

Hi All,

TSM for windows 5.3

I'm trying to set up server to server to allow electronic vaulting and
remote database backups.  I'd like the database and the copypool data to
go to different management classes on the remote server - Why? - because
the remote site will likely not be manned when a database restore is
performed and so I'd like the DB backups to remain on disk/in the tape
library whereas the copypool data is essentially write-only and can afford
to be taken out of the library  much earlier, as it is unlikely ever to be
read.

In the usual case on the receiving end, the sending server is allocated to
a domain and its data all goes into the default archive management class
for that domain.

Is there any way to differentiate this data? I note that there is a
facility to provide a node name  when defining server to server for
virtual volumes, but I can't get my head around how to use it.

Regards

Steve.

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is
not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of
this email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return email.  You should also delete this email and
destroy any hard copies produced.