ADSM-L

TSM server on p5 micro partition

2005-01-19 15:57:37
Subject: TSM server on p5 micro partition
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:57:26 -0600
Has anyone out there migrated or installed a TSM server in a p5 micro partition
(not an LPAR)?

I'd be interested in your settings for:
Number of processors: dedicated or virtual.
And: desired / min / max.
Are you using SMT?

As well as,
Processing power: desired / minimum / maximum
and: capped or uncapped

My initial thoughts are:
virtual CPUs (since I'm using micro partitions)
des/min/max = 2/1/2

Processing power (des/min/max) = .2/.1/1.5 uncapped
I think I will use SMT on it.

I don't think my TSM server needs a lot of CPU power. I recall that expiration
used the most CPU power, but that it is a single threaded processes. So more
than CPU probably won't make it run much faster.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks Miles

Miles Purdy
System Manager
Information Systems Team (IST),
Farm Income Programs Directorate (FIPD),
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
6th Floor 200 Graham Ave.           Mailing: PO box 6100
Winnipeg, MB, CA                                     R3C 4N3
R3C 4L5
Office contact:                                            Mobile contact:
 purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca                                      purdym AT
rogers.blackberry DOT net
 ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557        Cell: (204) 291-8758

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"