ADSM-L

TESTFLAG DISABLENQR

2005-01-18 19:46:43
Subject: TESTFLAG DISABLENQR
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:46:27 -0800
I have had a number of customers lately call me to complain about restores of a
single directory on a large file server running for many hours without
transferring any data.  In each case I have suggested they use "TESTFLAG
DISABLENQR".  Each time the next restore would run in minutes.

Many of you know that this simply changes the restore from the post TSM 3.1 "No
Query Restore" back to the older "Classic" restore.

As I search the IBM website I have found a number of documents that explain
this issue and they all suggest using this option.  However, a few of them also
make mention of the fact that this is an undocumented option. I recently had a
customer ask me if they had problems with this option would they be supported.
I truely believe that because of the number of IBM documents that exist which
discuss it they would be but that made me think...

Why has this optoin not been included in the client by defaulta?  It is my
belief that there should be a drop down or an option which will let you choose
between a "Classic" restore and a "No Query Restore". This would eliminating
the need for customers to use an undocumented flag which is really documented
in many places just not the TSM manuals.

Comments?