ADSM-L

Re: Assigning a management class

2005-01-18 10:25:14
Subject: Re: Assigning a management class
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:24:43 -0700
> 1) How do I assign files, volumes or even a whole node to a certain
> management class, if I never use 'INCLUDE' statements in my dsm.opt
> files, but only 'DOMAIN ALL LOCAL'?

a) Define a client option set on the TSM server that contains INCLUDE and
DIRMC statements that binds all files and directories to the desired
management class. Then update the client node to use that client option
set. See the DEFINE CLOPTSET, DEFINE CLIENTOPT, and UPDATE NODE commands.

b) Define a domain and policy set that contains only the single management
class by which you want to manage the client node data, then assign the
desired nodes to that domain. See the DEFINE DOMAIN, DEFINE POLICYSET,
DEFINE MGMTCLASS, DEFINE COPYGROUP, ASSIGN DEFMGMTCLASS, ACTIVATE
POLICYSET, and UPDATE NODE commands.

Without knowing anything else about your environment, (b) is probably the
best choice.

> 2) Can this be done on the server? Like: This Node -> Use this Man.
Class ?

After a fashion, yes. See answers above.

> 3) If I didn't explicitly assign nodes/volumes/files to certain
> Management Classes up until now, which one was used then? I don't have
> any 'STANDARD' Management Classes in my Policy Domains.

Each active policy set must contain a default management class; the
ACTIVATE POLICYSET will fail if the ASSIGN DEFMGMTCLASS command had not
been issued for that policy set. Use the QUERY MGMTCLASS command to view
management class information for your active policy sets, as the output
will tell you which management class is the default.

Note that directories are automatically bound to the management class that
has the highest RETONLY value, unless overridden by the client DIRMC
option I referred to above.

My stock advice to everyone: If you have not yet done so, I strongly
recommend you read the TSM Administrator's Guide from cover to cover, and
refer to the Administrator's Reference frequently. The books are very
large, but the time invested would be well spent in learning how TSM works
and what you can do with it.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/18/2005
07:20:25: