ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC stgpool: DISK or FILE?

2005-01-17 13:44:17
Subject: Re: DIRMC stgpool: DISK or FILE?
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:43:39 +0059
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:51:55AM -0600, Rushforth, Tim wrote:

> >Also, ADSM.QuickFacts says that sequential volumes have
> >advantages in a database restoral situation.
> Yes.  This is also documented in the 5.2/5.3 ADMIN guide describing
> difference between DISK and FILE pools.

I asked this here, because IBM support asked why we were using FILE
volumes instead of DISK volumes for our DIRMC stgpool. He recommends
DISK volumes, but only mentioned performance as a reason for this
recommendation. I answered that we were using FILE volumes for better
handling of a database restoral scenario, and (historically) for the
offsite reclamation performance problems (but this is no longer a
valid reason).

Thanks,
--
Jurjen Oskam
  "E-mail has just erupted like a weed, and instead of considering