ADSM-L

Migrating Data Centers

2005-01-14 12:02:57
Subject: Migrating Data Centers
From: "Hart, Charles" <charles.hart AT MEDTRONIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:02:11 -0600
Did a quick query on the list, but not quite finding what I'm looking for.  IN
the near future we may be migrating our primary DC to a new location across
town.  The DC migration will be a phased approach over 1-3yrs.  We plan on
purchasing a New Backup Server and 3494library (Similar Cfg as Current DC).
then slowly move clients from Primary DC to new DC.

I've been tossing around various ideas on how to get the clients backup data
from its original TSM server to the new TSM server @ the new location once the
backup client moves to the new location.  I was thinking of doing the following
process but have questions

1) Build Backup Server (AIX 5.2 p30 / TSM 5.2.3.5)
2) Attach new library etc
3) Move backup client 1 to new DC cfg client to see new backup server and go
from there....

The potential challenge now is moving the backup Client's data from orig TSM
server to New TSM Server.

Was thinking I could do an Export / Import, but not sure because on the new TSM
Server the backup client name will already exist when I'm ready to do the
import  / export from the original TSM server.  Is it possible to import node
data to an existing node name?  (Cant just take tapes out of existing lib and
put in new lib)

If anyone has been through a phased DC migration and could shed some light on
how they migrated client to a new TSM server instance and also bring over the
existing client data that would be great.

Thanks again!