ADSM-L

Re: Data Flow

2005-01-14 10:53:14
Subject: Re: Data Flow
From: David Chapa <david.chapa AT ADIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:52:56 -0700
Okay one last follow up question.

When is reclamation used?

David A. Chapa | ADIC | 720.272.8452 cell | http://www.adic.com
Sr. Technical Advisor

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Lawrence Clark
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 8:47 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

 Do a 'query storage f=d'

You are normally concerned with diskpool, tapepools, and (tape)
copypools. Normally disk and copypools do not have co-locate, but the
tapepool does, if you have sufficient resources. You can have multiple
tape pools, with co-locate on some, not on others.

The purpose of colloacation is to put all the files for a single client
on a single or set of tapes that hold only the files for that client.
This gains you nothing on the backups, adds overhead when you migrate
from disk to tape, but is very important for restores. That's when it
makes a significant difference.....you only have to mount a single or a
few tapes to restore a large number of files to a client.

In our situation alll our backups go to disk pools so many backups can
occur concurrently. Then we have a scheduled process that resets the
migration level on the disk pools. This forces a migration of all the
files off to a co-located tape storage pool after the backups complete.

           Storage Pool Name: DISKPOOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 50,349.0
                        Pct Util: 1.7
                        Pct Migr: 1.7
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 0
                     Low Mig Pct: 0
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 2
               Next Storage Pool: TAPEPOOL
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
         Cache Migrated Files?: No
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: Yes
            Amount Migrated (MB): 40,869.99
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 3,888
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 01/14/05   09:30:23
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No

Storage Pool Name: TAPEPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: 3494BTAPE
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 5,160,346.2
                        Pct Util: 35.6
                        Pct Migr: 67.0
                     Pct Logical: 99.8
                    High Mig Pct: 0
                     Low Mig Pct: 0
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
        Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Yes
           Reclamation Threshold: 51
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 100
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/03/04   08:39:12
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No

>>> david.chapa AT ADIC DOT COM 01/14/2005 10:29:32 AM >>>
Can some point me in the right direction or quickly summarize the
process of:
1. TSM backing up data to disk cache
2. Disk Cache hitting the high watermark (during backup) and
ultimately
when it moves it to tape to reduce the watermark.

Is that when you typically have co-location configured in order to
move
data as expeditiously off of the disk cache to tape during a backup
window?

Sorry for this "very basic" question, but I'm fairly new with TSM.

David