ADSM-L

Re: Enabling caching to shorten housekeeping

2005-01-13 18:13:43
Subject: Re: Enabling caching to shorten housekeeping
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:11:03 +1000
Hi Eric,

You've probably thought of this yourself, but, there is no need to save up all
your backup stg operations until the end of the day.  Since they are
"incremental" in nature, you can run the process earlier in the day with only a
short-running catchup before your migrate kicks in.  Of course this presumes
that you have sufficient drives to cope with this at some point in the day.

Regards

Steve.

Steve Harris
TSM Admin
Queensland Health,
Brisbase Australia

>>> Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM 14/01/2005 1:26:30 >>>
Hi *SM-ers!
I'm currently struggling with the fact that I cannot run a backup stgpool
diskpool and a migrate diskpool (to empty it out for the next client backup
cycle) sequentially no more. Migration would run well into the evening and I
would like it to be ready at 18:00 hours.
I'm thinking about turning on caching for my diskpool. If it works like I
hope, TSM migration empties out the diskpool, but leaving the actual data
behind, so a backup stgpool diskpool uses these cached copies, instead of
mounting all the tapes during a subsequent backup stgpool tapepool. In that
case, I can run migration and backup stgpool at the same time.
Is TSM working like this or will a cached object, once (logically) migrated,
be backed up from tape?
Thank you very much for your reply in advance!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

e-mail, and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM),
its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for
any delay in receipt.

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.