ADSM-L

Re: 3584 move

2005-01-10 16:16:14
Subject: Re: 3584 move
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:00:55 -0600
Last time I was involved with a 3584 move, IBM just separated the library
cabinets, shrink wrapped the cartridges in place, moved the cabinets,
removed the shrink wrap, reassembled the cabinets, and declared victory.
I, of course, did the audit library anyway.  No issues were discovered.
This was a move within the same building.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com
V: 952-931-1203
F: 952-931-1293

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
01/10/2005 12:57 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

We will be moving our 3584 library (including the TSM server, shark, and
everything else in our data center) across town to a new facility.  I am
trying to decide what the best method is to accomplish certain aspects
of the library move.  We don't want to leave the tapes in the library
during the move.  Is it best to "checkout" the tapes before the move, or
just remove the tapes, and put them back into the library after the move
in no specific order, and run an "audit library libname
checklabel=barcode" after the move?

If we go the checkout route, I have a script to remove the scratch tapes
first using the I/O slots.  We will have to run the script several times
(10 slots), until all the scratch tapes are removed.  Then, I planned on
creating and executing a script that for each VOLNAME in a "query libv"
command, it would do a "checkout libv libname $VOLNAME remove=no
checklabel=no".  The way I understand the help commands, this will leave
all the existing volumes (which should be only "in use" volumes) in
their current SCSI slot.  We would then remove and box up all the tapes.
At the new datacenter, we would place all the tapes in no particular
order directly back into the library storage slots, then I would run a
"checkin libv libname search=yes checklabel=barcode status=private".
After that completed, I would run through several "checkin libv"
commands to put the scratch volumes back into the library through the
I/O slots.

All that sounds like a lot of work when, in theory, I should be able to
just shut down the TSM server, remove the tapes (scratch and private
together), transport the tapes and library (and everything), re-insert
the tapes, start TSM and run an "audit library libname
checklabel=barcode" as soon as it comes up... right?

Of course, I would, via the 3584 User Panel or the 3584 Web Interface,
remove the cleaning cartridges and diagnosis cartridge after TSM shuts
down, and insert them before TSM starts up again.

Thoughts? Suggestions?  Horror stories?

ps, please reply directly to me, as well as the listserv.  I never did
unsubscribe to the listserv, but I have not been getting any email from
the listserv in several months.  I subscribed again today, so we will
see how it goes.

Thanks in advance,

Todd