ADSM-L

Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

2005-01-07 16:40:07
Subject: Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:24:39 -0600
AIX 5.3 is not supported for ISC.  I have tried unsuccessfully to install
ISC on AIX 5.3 on a P5 LPAR, but have failed.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
01/07/2005 01:06 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

On Friday 07 January 2005 13:09, Richard van Denzel wrote:
> Adrie,
>
> I totally agree with you. I've also test installed it (or at least I
> tried) it on WXP, Linux (FC3) and AIX 5.2. The only installing which
> succeeded was the AIX (it only took 3 hours to install the ISC and AC).
> It is also very annoying to have a /tmp of 750MB+, just for the sake of
> the installation.
Just wondering, I tried to install it today on aix 5.2 and 5.3 and each
time,
the interface is not working.  I can install the stuff but I get an error.
don't remember the exact error, but when I tried do add a TSM server, I
got a
servlet error so.  After searching the logfiles, I found a java error that
file could not be found.  Nice stuff.

I like AIX 5.3, you can shrink file systems online :)

> Lets hope IBM brings back the Webinterface asap, because I did not see
> advantages of the ISC yet.
The advantage is that they want to create 1 interface to manage TSM,
Notes,
Websphere, DB2, ....

> When I test created a diskpool volume of 5GB on my Linux TSM 5.3 server
it
> failed at almost 5GB with no apperent reason. When I did it manually
(long
> live dsmadmc) it went just fine.
Good to know.  "Use the new GUI interface, but if that fails, use the old,
trusted command line".  I once saw a hugh list of stuff that can not be
done
with the ISC because it's not supported.  So you still need to command
line
to do some stuff or you are out of luck.

I also found out that you can't use -se=<name> if you use dsmj.  So I
hacked
dsmj so you can specify a server name. AI dsm.opt file is generated in
/tmp
on the fly and the needed DSM environment is set so the dsm.opt file is
used
and not the default one.

Stef