ADSM-L

Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

2005-01-07 12:32:16
Subject: Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:31:59 -0700
You can install ISC/Admin center once on a single machine, and access
remotely via your web browser.

Also see my earlier post on this thread for where to find additional info.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/07/2005
10:21:58:

> After a coworker managed to setup ISC and AC (Afre several attempts)
> I had a quick look at the interface. I agree with the complaints from
> others. Even better, I think an extra hardware requirement should be
> added: at least an 21in screen is needed as the ISC contains so many
> tabs icons and subwindows there is hardly any room left for the actual
> information you are interested in...
> I vote for a normal web interface besides of coarse the command line
> tool (when will IBM fix dsmadc to use terminal settings defined by
> the host, like the unix erase key)!
> The big advantage of the webadmin is that I can manage TSM from any
> system/workstation (I guess most have a web browser these days).
> I hope IBM does not expect me to install ISC/AC on all of these
> workstations...
>
> -Marcel
>
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 01:45:23PM +0100, Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM wrote:
> > Hi Guys!
> > I have been beta testing 5.3 for IBM and I too have tried convincing
IBM
> > that they are definitely not on the right track with the Admin Center.
> > I haven't received a response from them on my comments, so I'm afraid
they
> > will ignore our objections...
> > Especially resellers should be worried. You will never be able to
convince
> > small customers that one has to invest in a Windows workstation with a
high
> > performance processor and at least 1 Gb. (!!!!) of memory, just to run
an
> > administrative interface!!
> > So my plea to IBM too: Please give us back the WebAdmin!!!!!
> > Kindest regards,
> > Eric van Loon
> > KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

AC).
> > It is also very annoying to have a /tmp of 750MB+, just for the sake
of
> > the installation.
> >
> > Lets hope IBM brings back the Webinterface asap, because I did not see
> > advantages of the ISC yet.
> > When I test created a diskpool volume of 5GB on my Linux TSM 5.3
server it
> > failed at almost 5GB with no apperent reason. When I did it manually
(long
> > live dsmadmc) it went just fine.
> >
> > Richard.
> >

> > Adrie van Tuyl <vantuyl AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
> > Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> > 07-01-2005 12:05
> > Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
> >
> >         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> >         cc:
> >         Subject:        Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

> > >I don't know and I hope not.  I think 99.9% of the TSM customers use
> > dsmadmc
> > >in some sort of scripting language to automate/monitor TSM.  I don't
> > think
> > >IBM can risk to loose 99.9% of it's TSM customers.
> > >
> > >Stef
> >
> > This seems they do not care.
> > Probably 90 % or more (maybe even 99.9%) of the customers did use the
> > Webinterface of the TSM server.
> > Many of the customers (>80%?) do not have an ISC.
> > So these customers are forced into setting up an ISC, preferably on
other
> > hardware than on the TSM server because of the resource utilization of
the
> > ISC. IMHO this does not make any sence at all.
> >
> > I tried to set up an ISC in a test environment. I tried a PII 400 with
384
> > MB. On this machine TSM 5.2.3.5 works perfectly for testing purposes.
> > I did not manage to install the ISC with the TSM admin (after an 8
hours
> > of
> > trying), and for now I don't want to put any effort in it because I
don't
> > have the equipment nor the time.
> >
> > For the people who managed to get ISC working; is it worth it? Is the
TSM

http://www.klm.com
> . This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged

> material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee,
you
> are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be
disclosed,
> copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail
or
> attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received
> this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail,
> and delete this message. Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM),
its
> subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect
or
> incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible
> for any delay in receipt.
>
> --
>      ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA