ADSM-L

Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix

2005-01-07 06:38:06
Subject: Re: ISC on WinXP or Unix
From: Adrie van Tuyl <vantuyl AT XS4ALL DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:05:35 +0100
At 20:24 1/6/2005, you wrote:
On Thursday 06 January 2005 13:14, Warren, Matthew (Retail) wrote:
> ..I'm glad to hear. I use a suite of python scripts that ive put
> together / migrated from other shells over the last 5 years or more. I
> would be frustrated  if dsmadmc dissappeared...
>
> Is this a possibility for future release?
I don't know and I hope not.  I think 99.9% of the TSM customers use dsmadmc
in some sort of scripting language to automate/monitor TSM.  I don't think
IBM can risk to loose 99.9% of it's TSM customers.

Stef

This seems they do not care.
Probably 90 % or more (maybe even 99.9%) of the customers did use the
Webinterface of the TSM server.
Many of the customers (>80%?) do not have an ISC.
So these customers are forced into setting up an ISC, preferably on other
hardware than on the TSM server because of the resource utilization of the
ISC. IMHO this does not make any sence at all.

I tried to set up an ISC in a test environment. I tried a PII 400 with 384
MB. On this machine TSM 5.2.3.5 works perfectly for testing purposes.
I did not manage to install the ISC with the TSM admin (after an 8 hours of
trying), and for now I don't want to put any effort in it because I don't
have the equipment nor the time.

For the people who managed to get ISC working; is it worth it? Is the TSM
admin dramatically improved? Have all the wishes which we see come by in
this group come true?

I sincerely hope we get our webinterface back.

Adrie